A NOVEL APPLICATION IN THE FIELD OF OPHTHALMOLOGY
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound is routinely used to treat some complex pathologies such as liver cancer, prostate cancer, brain tumors, etc.
Advantages of the technology :
- By virtue of the high frequency of the ultrasound, the energy delivered enables precision targeting of the area to be treated, i.e. the ciliary body. Accuracy ensures reproducibility of the procedure.
- At the focal point there is gentle coagulation of the targeted tissue via a controlled rise in temperature. The technique preserves adjacent tissues and does not compromise the blood aqueous barrier.
- Unlike lasers, ultrasound goes through biological tissue without the constraints of optical absorption, in other words it does not depend on pigmentation and maintains the same efficacy regardless of tissue it crosses.
- Ultrasound can reach deep tissue without surgical incision: the procedure is NON-INVASIVE.
MINIATURIZATION MAKES THE DIFFERENCE
The piezo-electric transducers of the therapy device developed by EYE TECH CARE, are the smallest ever manufactured for medical application.
Extreme miniaturization presents important assets
- Adaptation to the anatomy of the eye allows the ultrasound to be very precisely focused.
- The evenly-delivered ultrasound dose helps to preserve the blood aqueous barrier.
- After treatment, the eye is quiet and painless.
- The treatment duration is very short (less than three minutes).
- The circular treatment, performed in one step, is very simple to implement.